submit your script
Our script submission period is now closed.
A letter from the Artistic Director to Submitting Playwrights
Thank you for your interest in submitting work to Parity Productions.
To best protect your script, we encourage all playwrights to register their scripts with copyright.gov before submission. Please go to http://www.copyright.gov/ for more information.
We believe the next great play can come from anywhere; we read all submissions and make no judgments based on a playwright’s education or representation.
If you are a fan of our all inclusive policy, join our mailing list, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter. We regularly filter and curate a variety of interesting, informative content on theatre and parity on social media which we think you’ll enjoy. We also include information and ticket offers to Qualifying Productions – shows that meet the 50% hiring standard for playwrights, directors, and designers. (As a service to the industry, we provide substantial and free support to Qualifying Productions in the form of social media, e-blasts, PR support, and placement in our online directory).
Please see the steps below on how to submit your work. We look forward to reading it.
Founder & Artistic Director
Submitting Your Script
When to Submit
Our script submission period is now closed.
How to Submit
You may submit your script using the form at the bottom of this page when the submission period is open.
Playwrights must submit a playwriting resume and one full-length play for award consideration. Playwrights must also submit a second writing sample. Parity prefers this to be a second full-length play, but if a second full-length play has not been completed is happy to accept no fewer than 25 pages of a second play (or alternate form of writing).
There is no fee to submit a script to Parity Productions.
The Parity Commission is open to all women and trans and gender nonconforming (TGNC) playwrights. All scripts submitted to us by women and TGNC playwrights during our submission period and that fit the requirements outlined below will automatically be considered for The Parity Commission.
Any work that is submitted to Parity must adhere to these submission criteria:
(1) Plays submitted for consideration must be new and may not have had a previous professional production (either Equity or non-Equity). Submitted plays that have been previously produced will not be read. However, works that have had readings or workshops may be submitted.
(2) Plays submitted for consideration may not be musicals, but secondary scripts submitted as writing samples may be musicals. Parity loves musicals and recognizes the many talented book writers and lyricists and composers in our community, but doesn't currently have the resources to dedicate to a proper development (and production) process for musicals.
(3) All documents must be submitted in PDF format. Scripts must be neat and formatted to industry standard (e.g., Sam French, Dramatists Guild, or Final Draft format).
(4) Submissions must not have the play title or playwright name on any page but the title page. Submissions with title or playwright name on any page but the title page will not be read. Parity reads submissions blind, in an effort to let the quality of the work speak for itself and to keep our judging process as equitable as possible.
(5) If playwrights submit in multiple Commission years, Parity prefers them to submit new work every year. If playwrights do choose to resubmit a piece, Parity strongly encourages playwrights to have developed the play considerably in between submission periods.
(6) Each playwright may only submit once for consideration. If playwrights submit multiple times in one submission period, only the first submission will be considered. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Do I need to be based in New York?
Winning playwrights, if they are not NYC local, must be willing and able to self-report to NYC at several points throughout the development process. Parity Productions does not currently subsidize travel/stay.
What happens after I submit?
Once a submission is received, any personally identifying information will be removed so Parity's literary team can read all submissions blind.
What happens if my work is selected?
You will be contacted by Parity Productions directly.
Please reach out to us at email@example.com with any questions.